Indonesia Relief Mission 2010 - Tasikmalaya

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A Helping Hand For The Merapi Victims

(copy-pasted from Nur 'Aqilah's note)

From a member of Indonesian Relief Mission - Yogjakarta 2009 (Nur Kauthar) :

Assalamualaikum,

Hope everyone is in good health and iman.
I believe everyone must have heard about Merapi incident in Daerah Istimewa Yogyakarta, Indonesia.
If you haven’t, just a few links to enlighten you :


or simply google “merapi”…

Merapi and Mbah Maridjan to a certain extent have some links with IMAM.

What?

Yes!

During Summer 2009, we conducted a relief mission to yogyakarta. And some of our activities involved hiking gunung merapi (at least the foothill), visiting an orphanage of 2006 Merapi victims and visiting Mbah Maridjan whilst we were there.
Feel free to visit http://imamyogya.wordpress.com/ for more info

And who is Mbah Maridjan?

He was the ‘gatekeeper’ of the mountain. I am not sure of the accuracy of stories about all the rituals that he led but as far as I understood and recalled from our meeting with him, he was a very pious old man. However, based on our experience, practice of culture and religion amongst most lay people there are pretty mixed up between Islam, Hindu and Buddha.

Ok, now going back to the point I'm making, our friends there from Mer-C (http://www.mer-c.org/) (it is the organisation that we collaborated with in 2009) have been in contact with us and keep us pretty much updated on the current situation :


and they are now in need of a helping hand. Quoting one of their messages to me:

“makasih banyak bantuannya ya kauthar…karena MER-C sedang butuh dana dan stock obat,,,”

So, how can you help them?
You can help by a few options:

1. Make du’a
2. Go there and help them physically
3. Do something to raise funds
4. Donate

Now, I am trying to do no. 1, 3 and 4, and encouraging you to do the same. You can donate to Islamic Relief etc. But I am giving you an option to pass it to me. I know it is not very professional to use personal account but this is an on-the-spot idea. As I thought I would be transferring some money inshaAllah to them, why not just ask if more people want to donate as well so I can transfer more.

Here are my account details:

Name: Nur Kauthar Fadzil
Acc No: 33813159
Sort Code: 60-12-39
Reference: Merapi

OR… I also set up a paypal button for those who are put off donating by having to log into bank acc etc :


I would inshaAllah open this option until next

Friday 17 November 2010

so that I can transfer the money before I am off to a GP in far away land…

Wallahua’lam.
Nur Kauthar Fadzil
4th Year Medicine
University of Leeds


No comments: